Don’t you wish that our nation, our society had some principles, some rules, which everyone followed and obeyed? I do. And how much better we would be if we followed the same rules with unity and clarity! Unfortunately, we are far from that aim. For starters, let’s imagine if we were actually following some rules already, what if all we do was actually in obedience to a charter agreed upon by all members of this society. The charter might look something like this.
1. The society shall have certain rules and values which shall be mostly unwritten and would keep on changing very very gradually as generations passed.
2. The society shall defend these values with their life and not give any importance to whether they make any sense whatsoever or not. However, laws and rules that do make sense and are aimed at our best interests shall be disregarded and broken without a thought, e.g., traffic lights.
3. The society shall severely reprimand anyone who tries to put some sense into it and shall try its best to ensure that such thinking members are not a common occurrence.
4. The society shall ensure continuous production of progressively stupider individuals and any member who is not mediocre shall be isolated and ridiculed.
5. Any extraordinary act or person shall be considered a threat to the happiness and security of the society and shall be suppressed with all the society’s might.
6. The society shall make some arrangements for teaching its children the basic values which would ensure that they survive without being ridiculed. However, any ingenuity or free thinking shall be discouraged, especially if it targets the core useless values.
7. The society shall take appropriate steps to ensure that no group of people living within the society is ever completely satisfied.
8. The society shall have segments of haves and have-nots and any progression from a lower to a higher segment shall totally depend on the level to which a person can sink morally.
9. Any member of another society shall be treated with respect, in fact any such person shall perpetually be considered better than the members of this society and anything he says or does shall have precedence over the views, opinions and actions of desi people.
10. The government shall be considered Mai Baap of the people whose petty, selfish interests it serves and shall be criticized and abused by all others.