I have never been a cricket fan, but all of UK is in the grip of the Ashes fever and since I have little else to do, I ended up watching the highlights of the first Pakistan-West Indies ODI. And then I did a little googling and I am confused. I mean all cricket lovers in Pakistan must know that Shahid Afridi
1. Holds the record for the fastest century in ODI history scored off 37 balls with 11 sixes against Sri Lanka, in 1996, the fourth fastest century scored off 45 balls in 2005 against India and the seventh fastest century scored off 53 balls in 2010 against Bangladesh.
2. Holds the record for the third fastest fifty in ODI history scored off 18 balls in 1996 and the fourth fastest fifty scored off 18 balls in 2002.
3. Holds the record for the most number of sixes (313) in ODI career by any batsmen ever.
4. Holds the record for the best bowling figures by a Pakistani and the second best ever in ODI history (7/12 taken in 2013).
5. Is currently ranked the seventh best all-rounder in the world by ICC.
6. Is the eighth highest wicket taker of all time in ODIs with 355 wickets and the third highest for Pakistan after Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis.
7. Is the 31st highest run-getter in ODI history and the fifth highest from Pakistan after Inzimam, Muhammad Yousaf, Saeed Anwar and Javed Miandad.
8. Has a career batting strike rate of 114.74 which is the all-time highest for all batsmen who have played 50 ODIs or more.
Hats off to the guy. But what confuses me is the number of people I have heard asking that Afridi be dropped from the team because he is not consistent. I mean, I don’t know that much about cricket, but I am pretty certain that is not the way to treat our heroes. Will we ever learn?