Maut Ka Manzar: Marney ke baad kya hoga (the scene of death: what will happen after we die?) is, or at least was a couple of decades ago, perhaps one of the most widely read books in this country. Numerous other books, movies and theories exist that try to explain what happens after we die. Agreed, it is a tricky mystery and we might never get to know the truth until we die ourselves. What bothers me is the much more perplexing mystery about what happened before the deaths of countless number of people that were not ordinary citizens like you and I but people who really mattered. Would anyone be kind enough to tell me
1. Why was Jinnah in Ziarat, so far from any reasonable medical facility when according to sources, the doctors had said that altitude was not good for him? And why was his transfer to Karachi so grossly mismanaged?
2. Who the hell was behind Liaqat Ali Khan’s assassination? Why was the assassin who shot him immediately shot by the police? What in the world was a professional assassin, known to the police, doing there in the first place?
3. What happened to Zia-ul-Haq’s plane? If eyewitness accounts are to be believed, the plane started flying haphazardly and nosedived to the ground, why did the pilot not give any signal to the control tower that something was wrong?
4. Why are there still two separate versions of how Murtaza Bhutto was killed, one the official version and the other that of the PPP when clearly PPP was in the government at that time?
5. Why was the scene of the murder of Benazir Bhutto washed in such a hurry? And why does her husband keep claiming that he knows who killed her but does not tell?
6. Why was Osama Bin Laden’s body so hurriedly thrown in the sea without even taking a picture that would have proved that he had really died (or had actually existed)?
7. How did Mumtaz Qadri, whose credentials were far from satisfactory, a part of Salman Taseer’s security?
8. And finally, since Nusrat Bhutto was supposedly on a ventilator for a long time, who decided to switch it off now and why at this particular time? Do the scheduled protests by PML(N) and the jalsa by Imran Khan have anything to do with it?
So, we better stop theorizing about metaphysical realities, since we seem to be totally incapable of finding the truth even in this physical world. For the sake of truth, I hope that the deaths of our current leaders are clearer and easier for everyone to understand.